It is the policy of Lara Nichols, so far as is reasonably practicable to conduct its operations in such a manner as to avoid risks to the health and safety of its employees, or any other person who might be affected by its operations.
The promotion of health and safety measures at all levels as a mutual objective for management and employees is recognised as a priority for the Managing Director of the company.
Lara Nichols undertakes to make every reasonable effort to provide and maintain a safe and healthy working environment for all its employees, contractors, members of the general public and other individuals who visit its premises.
Lara Nichols will provide such instructions, information, training, supervision, safe devices and protective clothing as are necessary and practicable to ensure that within scope of its business activities that employees and contractors are safe and without risks to their health.
Lara Nichols will:
- Assess, in joint consultation with employees, risks to health and safety arising from working conditions, equipment or systems of work.
- Undertake risk assessments for all materials, substances and activities and implement appropriate preventative and corrective measures following the identification of any hazards.
- Review risk assessments and systems of work on a periodic basis to ensure that they reflect current practices and that the safest possible methods are adopted to reduce the occurrence of accidents and cases of work-related ill health.
- All employees have individual responsibility to participate fully in implementation of the policy and to take every care for their own safety and that of other employees or persons who may be affected by their activities at work.
Disciplinary action will be taken against any employee, regardless of status, who wilfully or deliberately disregards or who is consistently negligent in conforming to Lara Nichols policy on health, safety and welfare.
The health and safety policy is regarded by the Managing Director as being in accordance with and of equal importance to, the main aims of Lara Nichols. The implementation of the health and safety policy will be constantly monitored to ensure its effectiveness and the policy will be reviewed at regular intervals.
NOTE: This policy statement must be read in conjunction with any Lara Nichols health and safety policy, and local safety arrangements, advice and information.
The ultimate authority and responsibility in relation to health and safety topics rests with the Managing Director. Together with the management team he/she will ensure as far as is reasonably practicable the health and safety at work of all his/her employees, and in particular:
- The provision of systems of work that are, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risk to health.
- Arrangements for arranging so far as is reasonably practicable, safety and freedom from risks to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances.
- The provision of such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of his/her employees.
- To maintain any place of work under his/her control, so far as is reasonably practicable, in a condition that is safe. and without risks to health, and to provide and maintain in similar condition means of access and egress from that place.
- The provision and maintenance of a working environment for employees that is, as far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risk to health and adequately provided with facilities and arrangements for their welfare at work.
Each employee is expected to conform to the company policy and regulation on health and safety topics and to recognise their responsibility in law for their own safety and that of colleagues as well as those persons with whom they come into contact during the course of their work. Further, employees are expected to help and co-operate in achieving safe and hazard-free working areas and operations.
Specifically, you must comply with the following:
- All precautions, protective clothing and equipment prescribed in an approved method of work must be applied as directed.
- Only personnel who are trained and authorised to use equipment, machinery or vehicles may do so, provided always that there are safe and proper working conditions, and that all guarding and other precautions are operating.
- All equipment, work and storage areas, gangways and staff facilities should be maintained in a clean and tidy. condition.
- All machinery, power supplies and materials must be left in a safe condition when unattended or when work ceases.
- Repairs and adjustments to equipment or machinery may only be carried out by those who are authorised to do so.
- Any dangerous or injurious incident or ‘near miss’ must be reported at the earliest opportunity to your line manager and appropriate details recorded in the accident book.
- You must properly use, and not interfere with the working of, any item provided in the interests of safe and healthy working conditions.
- You must expressly not engage in practical joking, horseplay or reckless behaviour whether or not risk or danger to others is intended.
- While working away on customers’ premises, you must obtain and comply with all local safety policies, procedures, rules or precautions.
Failure to comply will render you liable to appropriate disciplinary action.